Final Ofsted Report
Dear Parents / Carers
As you are aware The Howard School was inspected by Ofsted earlier this term, and I am very pleased to attach the final report. As it was a short inspection the report comes in the form of a letter, but the many strengths they identify come through just as strongly, some of which have been highlighted below.
- The leadership team has maintained the good quality of education in the school since the last inspection.
- The school is a calm and orderly environment, where pupils and students attend regularly and feel safe.
- Pupils make good progress across an increasingly wide range of subjects
- Sixth form students achieve well in academic and vocational courses, making good progress across a variety of subject areas by the end of Year 13.
- Staff know pupils and students as individuals, and provide them with support that is appropriate to their different needs.
- Almost all parents would recommend the school to another parent, and report that their children feel safe and happy at the school.
- Pupils are encouraged to work with increasing independence
- Pupils appreciate the resources and support available to them, and say that they benefit from extra help that teachers give them willingly
- Pupils and students are respectful of each other and their teachers, and work amidst a culture of acceptance.
- Leaders help post-16 students to develop their independence and play a greater role in the life of the school.
- Pupils who have special educational needs and/or disabilities are supported well.
- Disadvantaged pupils make strong progress compared with other pupils nationally
- Pupils behave well in lessons and when moving around the school
- Pupils read fluently and with comprehension appropriate to their starting points